Friday, August 2, 2013

July 29, 2013-THE CHURCH IS SOOO TRUE

Hey everyone!!!
 
What a great week it has been! It was definitely very humbling and I learned soo much!! The work is going great we have some awesome investigators... they are just all leaving at the end of August which is a bummer haha but we are still just trying to find some new investigators! The students are starting to slowly trickle back in and I know the work is really going to pick up once school starts again and there will be YSA's all over the place.
 
We taught Chris Brady a couple times this week and he is doing so awesome!! We had a really neat lesson with him this week where the spirit was just so powerful! We invited a recent convert named Harriet to come with us...  she joined the church at the end of april and she seriously is so amazing.... we invited her to come and she really didn't have time cuz she had something going on but she felt like she should come at least for a little bit and I am soo glad that she did!! She is just a spiritual powerhouse and could relate so well to Chris. It helped him so much to hear her conversion story and to have someone there who knows how he feels and knows what he is going through. It really put things into perspective for Chris.. he was able to understand better that he doesn't have to know everything before he gets baptized... that is what is so amazing about the church is that we don't \need to know everything. We are continually learning... we are constantly being taught the same things in church on sundays but yet we are able to take different insights each time we are taught something because of the different points that we are in in our lives. It is a continual learning process and our testimonies are continually being strengthened and we all get to do it together which is amazing! I love it! We actually assigned Chris to read alma 32 which is all about faith... it is a great chapter I would suggest reading it haha but what is crazy is that Harriet read that exact same chapter before she came to the lesson cuz she felt like she just needed to! She had no idea that we had assigned that chapter to him... it was so cool and we just had a great discussion about it and harriet could be involved cuz she had just read it! Ah, and to top it all off.... we decided to kneel down with Chris and pray about the book of Mormon. We told him that we would kneel down to pray and that he needed to ask just a really specific question... like "is the book of Mormon true?" So we knelt down and chris gave the most sincere and heartfelt prayer I have ever heard ..... it was amazing!!! he said it perfectly and after we said amen we all just sat there forever... just listening. You could tell that he was listening and paying attention to the spirit so hard... he really really wants to know!! He finally sat up and kinda had tears in his eyes... and he just kept saying thank you over and over.... we asked him how he felt and he said he had a warm feeling in his heart, so we made sure that he recognized that it was the holy ghost and that is how we receive answers to our prayers.... he serioiusly was glowing afterward cuz I know he felt it.... he knows what he felt.... he felt a witness that the book of Mormon is true and he felt his heavenly fathers love towards him cuz of the amazing feeling of the holy ghost. I know that not only did he receive a witness of the truthfulness of the book of Mormon but I did as well.....  his prayer and his real intent and the spirit just testified to me again that this church really is true and that heavenly father truly answers all of our prayers. he is aware of us.... he is aware of our concerns and our needs and he is willing to pour down those blessings upon us as long as we are humble enough to turn to him and to ask with sincerity. Like I said, Chris was just glowing after that lesson and I have never seen him so happy. I am sooo excited for him. I just have to say that there is honestly no better work out there than missionary work! Being able to help chris on this journey and help him seek for the truth and helping him find something that will bless his life for eternity... gah.... it is the biggest blessing to be out here helping people get on the path that will lead them back to their heavenly father! Like Elder Holland has said all we need in this gospel is a simple belief... if we can just believe and build on that belief that we have then we can come to KNOW. I know that everyone through prayer and the power of the holy ghost can come to know of the truthfulness of this gospel and can be able to feel of heavenly fathers love toward you. I know that I have definitely felt strength and comfort from my father in heaven this week especially as I have knelt in humble prayer asking him for things. He loves us. He knows us. and he is waiting for us to turn to him. I can testify of the truthfulness of that and the power that it can have in our lives. He will never turn our backs on us.... no matter how many times we turn our back on him... he will always be there waiting.
 
So funny story for ya'll..... hope ya don't think i'm crazy after this. haha so about a month ago we... meaning I lost the church keys. We had them  to play ball at the church on a pday and that is the last place they were seen. Well it has been pretty difficult not having keys cuz we have lessons at the church and stuff and we just use the building a lot so it has been a huge pain.... I have searched EVERYWHERE for them and called everyone and they have just been nowhere to be found.... so I was just at a loss and didn't even know what to do anymore and so I finally decided to pray about it.... finally meaning that I should have prayed about it a month ago when I lost them. haha but lesson learned.... we ran inside the apartment the day after I had prayed about it.... we grabbed some stuff, ran out the door and all the sudden we hear this big cling of something falling on the ground.... I turned around cuz there was someone walking behind us and I was just super confused cuz I didn't know what it was..... I looked at the ground and there were some keys..... so I asked the girl if they were hers or if they saw where they came from.... giving me a weird look she replied "no" so I slowly walked over and peeked to see what keys they were.... freaking out knowing there was no way they could be the church keys.... BUT.... it was the church keys!!! I have nooooooooo idea where they came from.... they seriously just fell out of nowhere. it was the craziest thing... and I promise i'm not crazy cuz sister walker witnessed the whole thing. haha. THE CHURCH IS TRUUUE.
 
We had another sweet experience this week.... we were going to go to this place to play basketball cuz there are a lot of ysa's there and we were just going to go play with them and just get to know them and talk to them about the church and what not. Welll.... we attempted to go this last week and there was only one person out playing and we just didn't feel good about going.... so we went somewhere else and then I just had a pit in my stomach and felt like we needed to go back.... so patient sister walker let us go back and there were more people playing... so we changed real quick and walked over and without even saying anything they asked us to play with them.... huge, tall, black, tattooed guys. Scariest thing ever. Haha but they were super nice to us and we kept trying to talk to them about the church but it wasn't really working so I just kept praying that we would be able to fulfill our purpose while we were there.... so this kid came over and was just standing by the court... I went and introduced myself and asked him to play but he couldn't play cuz he was hurt.... PERFECT.... so I stood there and talked to him about the church and it was probably one of the best conversations I have had with someone on my mission cuz he just straight up asked what we believe and I was able to tell him and testify to him but it was so different cuz I was really trying to be real with him instead of just giving him a pitch..... and it was just an incredible difference trying to be more real with him cuz it allowed him to be more comfortable and open up more.... I know that there are so many ways we can share our testimonies with people but the best way is by example and to relate to them, to care about them, and their concerns and their interests. I learned a lot from that night.... I learned how enjoyable sharing the gospel and how comfortable it can be as long as we are real with people and act like real people too. He said he was interested in learning more... i'm not sure what will happened but I definitely know we planted some seeds and we were able to fulfill our purpose which was even better.
 
This week has been very humbling for me. I've learned a lot about the power that this gospel has and how truly blessed we are to have it in our lives. I don't even know how people go through the things that they do in their lives without this gospel. it is so important and so powerful. Heavenly father loves us. we are all his children and he is just waiting to help us. I know that to be true. I know this gospel is true and I truly am soo grateful for it and i'm so happy to be here serving and helping the people of Virginia! I know this is where I am supposed to be :) I love you all!! have a good week! The church is true :) XOXO
 
Sister Roosendaal

No comments:

Post a Comment